Monday, April 19, 2010

yesterday, today, above, below

So on Saturday I took the pic that's now posted below under yesterday. I edited it on Sunday, so I think the post title is honest.

There's always a difference once a pic is posted. Some of it is no doubt introduced by the website. I usually have to refine the pre-posted file on my computer, tuning up the way it looks on the site. This is an aesthetic variable I don't see much attention paid to.

The black painted wall at the top of the pic wasn't as delicious as it looked in the original file. It lacked licorice. I was too tired by the time I posted last night to do anything about it then, so I resolved to edit and post in the morning.

This morning when I opened it up, I was disappointed to see that the amber in the sign at the top right wasn't as glowy as it was in my edited file. Phooey. And even worse, I saw that I had liked the glowy wood against the flat black paint so much during the original process that I kept it in the composition even though now I could see it detracted from the overall. So I tuned up the licorice and cropped away until I had this:








This is stronger, I think.


I also tried a variant crop that includes the glowy sign:

















Not as good as the one above, but interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment