Thursday, February 25, 2010

health

Something's happening today that's supposed to mean something. This health care summit between Obama and the Republicans. I just can't get interested. The only thing that interests me is what's in the bill that will eventually pass - or fail to pass - Congress. And I have no reason to think that this bill will fix anything in any meaningful way.
I believe the only change that will improve access to health care is a public option or the opening up of Medicare. Anything less is just more blah di blah.
This whole process has been so comprehensively disheartening that I have to remind myself that even if the politicos defy their corporate masters and come up with something that will actually make health care affordable and accessible, the anti-choice folks are just salivating to put the kibosh on it.
If whatever wretched compromise that limps to O's desk includes a mandate that will punish people who refuse to give money to the insulting, inhumane, dishonest health insurance industry - people who would rather risk sickness or death than to pay for the privilege of being abused - even people who can't afford to pay for the privilege of being abused - then I think the result will be to set fires on the right and on the left in this country that will be catastrophic if they burn and calamitous if they are extinguished.
My personal inclinations have become apocalyptic. Rayne over at Firedoglake has a good post urging progressives to increase efforts to steer and take over the Democratic Party. I don't think that's possible any more. The government is sick.

added later: What this country needs is a more fearful ruling class.

No comments:

Post a Comment