Friday, February 11, 2011

hums of a bore

A couple of posts ago I went on at some length about a couplet from the Jim Morrison/Doors song "Break on Through." Here are the other two lyrics that pop into mind when I think about pop faves.

Don't start me talking
I could talk all night
My mind is sleepwalking...

That's by Elvis Costello, from "Oliver's Army." I don't think I want to write any additional words about it. Some of the mystery has faded from "Break on Through" since I wrote about it.
The other is "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and The Drells - a tightened up version appears below:

Hi everybody  
I'm Archie Bell of the Drells 
From Houston, Texas 
In Houston we just started a new dance 
Called the Tighten Up
This is the music 
We tighten up with 
Let's tighten it up now
Let's tighten it up now
Tighten it up
Do the tighten up
Come and tighten it up
Tighten it up now
Come on now, Billy
Tighten it up 
Oh, yeah
Now look here 
Tighten it up now  
Now everybody tighten it up now
Tighten it up
Tighten it up now
Come on and tighten it up
Tighten it up now
You can do it....

The SINGER is in the SONG. The SONG is what the WORDS are. The WORDS are what the SONG is made of. The DANCE is what the WORDS in the SONG say. 

Now make it mellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment