Monday, August 9, 2010

doldrum

The doldrums I refer to are personal, haven't been stirred by anything much the last week or so. No biggie, 'cause not a depression. But I think this is the longest between posts (and the previous one was a shortie) since I began blogging regularly.
Extremities of weather continue. Virtually nothing new has made it to the American media about the unusually low temps causing deaths in Peru, part of a general South American cold snap. Meanwhile, Pakistan is flooded, the death rate in Moscow has been doubled (think of that, twice as many people dying than usual) due largely to smoke and smog from raging forest fires, extreme swimming is now possible in newly melted glacial pools in the Himalayas.
I think there's a local symptom even more alarming than the high-temp summer days of this past North American July: unseasonal breeze.
In my experience, the typical NYC summer of the last 20 years has been hot and stifling - the immobile and often massively humid air has been dreadful. A couple of times last summer I remember noting that the temp was up in the 90s, which would usually poleax me, but a pleasant zephyr was keeping the air in motion - I felt a little cooler and a little drier. [Cliche regarding humidity vs heat]
This has become more common this summer. I'm sure an examination of weather records would bear my observation out. The air has been in motion even on most of the hottest days, anything from a breeze to a downright wind that made tree branches sway back and forth.
I'd be personally grateful, but I think it is a bad portent. Global climate change is a disruption in equilibrium. When forces shift that have formerly been in balance, energy is redistributed, and until it settles down, hot areas become hotter, cold ones colder, temperate realms become a little differently temperate, in timing, in distribution, and when the breeze blows more constantly than it did before, energy somewhere is finding new places to distribute itself. Oh yeah, things like unusually powerful windstorms and oddly located tornados, they happen, too. And the disequilibria proliferate.
Assuming everything is about to go out of balance, eventually everything will come back into balance again. But there's no obligation for the weather to do so on a human timetable, or to suit human needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment