Wednesday, January 5, 2011

king o' pain, part two

> I'm trying to get away from every post rounding out as an essay. Essays are very satisfying to construct, but they take time. I want to maintain the freedom to just dash in here and drop a thing or two, at greater length than a twoot, but not always with so much care to turn a pile into a structure.
> For example, of course the inclination was to title the previous entry, on MJ, with a quote from one of his songs. But I would have to spend more time sifting through lyrics to find something non-obvious than would be fun, required or necessary for blogging. When I opened the possibilities to some other pop citation, right away I thought of "King of Pain." The first time I heard that song (sample lyric: "there's a skeleton choking on a crust of bread") I laughed and laughed. "What a sense of humor this Sting guy has," I thought. "And how cool to poke fun of his own po-faced solemnity this way." Eventually I realized that the song was not meant ironically and it became much less funny and enjoyable. But the title seemed apt for Jackson. I hadn't even noticed the echo of King of Pop. Even MJ crowning himself so was sad. And ultimately when I think of MJ, I don't think of the dancing or the singing or the pedophiliac urges, I just wonder if he ever had a really happy day in his life.
> While I was on the bus I thought of a great way to segue smoothly in one entry from MJ to King of Pain to something else and than structure back to MJ, but I forgot it by the time I got to the computer. It was one of those days when you have a million good ideas one after another but only time to do three of them and write five of them down to do later, if you're lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment