Monday, May 3, 2010

ecko wrecko

I don't "do" the environment. I recognize its importance (and how stupid is it that one has to state that), but it's not my topic the way civil liberties and free speech are. Hoping to maintain (because it would be delusional to think that in any but the smallest imaginable way I am helping to maintain) civil liberties and free speech is my contribution to the environmental movement. For example, didja know that the FCC is leaning against regulating broadband to maintain free speech?*
I don't expect the American government and associated businesses to do anything pro-environment until rich people suffer on a huge scale.
That could be something like the current oil spill in the gulf, or the children of wealthy communities sickened by a contaminated water supply, or some sort of economically non-discriminatory pandemic. It could be near- or totally-riotous protest by nonrich people with nothing seemingly left to lose. Or as I am increasingly coming to think of it, "America's last best hope."

*Maybe not (5/5/10).

No comments:

Post a Comment